The Test Manager (customer domain) is responsible for driving testing best practice amongst the internal and 3rd party community for the customer domain which includes areas such as all customer facing websites/apps and instore technology. Taking over all responsibility for the quality of software produced across the internal teams, partners and vendor integrations.
For the internal and partner teams the test manager will evangelise, monitor and drive the adoption of best practice and modern QA processes including test automation.
This is a heavy people and process orientated role and will require a focus on continuous team and flow improvement along with mentoring to ensure all teams gain optimum productivity. Our aim is to produce great digital products our customers love and this role is there to ensure products work flawlessly.
The Test Manager works alongside other project and delivery management roles to ensure that all teams play their part in the delivery and work together to ensure successful outcomes.
Responsibilities described could refer to work that the test manager undertakes, or ensuring that a third party delivers elements to the Test Manager’s satisfaction.
KEY TASKS & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Define the test strategies for each strategic piece of delivery in the domain
• Ensure best practice is maintained and continually improved upon
• Develop/review test plans and test strategies including dependencies and participants required to mitigate the risks to system quality and obtain stakeholder support for such plans
• Define hardware and software requirements as part of an overall path to live requirement – liaise with the Environment Manager for delivery of these environments
• Continually develop the teams to improve effectiveness, efficiency and productivity
• Ensure content and structure of all testing documents / artefacts is documented and maintained
• Ensure key quality metrics are monitored and reported on
• Mentor/coach individuals within the test team
• Constantly work to improve the test metrics
• Maintain an on-going awareness of emerging developments and trends related to the test discipline that could impact current projects and influence new projects
• Full line management duties – including management of employee/team performance and workload, ensuring that the teams deliver consistent, valuable software solutions
• Implement best practice agile techniques and encourage agile ways of working – lead by example.
• Have played a key role in a technology transformation programme that has taken a department from Waterfall to Agile
• Have built world class software engineering in test teams that focused on high throughput and quality, engineering happiness and overall business success
• 8+ years of software testing experience in a fast paced environment
• Excellent understanding of functional and non-functional testing
• Excellent understanding of test automation
• Excellent understanding of both waterfall and agile concepts and methodologies
• Tenacious in obtaining other teams’ buy-in to test plan e.g. Defect resolution times.
• Highly creative, pro-active, enthusiastic, conscientious, detail oriented self-starter
• You respond rather than react
• Exceptional presentation, inter-personal, written and communication skills
• Exceptional team management skills
• Able to demonstrate creativity and innovation in applying solutions for the benefit of the customer/stake-holder
• Graciously disruptive
• Commercially astute
• Strong commercial experience of implementing and running your chosen technology eco-system in production
• A passion for finding defects and a defect free mentality for releases.